This year for Christmas we decided to draw names instead of spend hundreds of dollars buying gifts for everyone. Turns out, though, Wes and I were really the only two people who stuck to this – the rest of my family went out and bought everyone gifts. But wait, now that I’m thinking about this, my brother and his girlfriend bought my parents gifts but they didn’t get anything for me and Wes – I call shenanigans! But anyway, we celebrated Christmas after the fact when my family came in. I happened to draw my mom for the gift exchange and when i saw her wish list (apron, matching dish towels, sweaters, dvd) I felt pretty boring just buying everything off of her list, so I decided to make her an apron.
It seemed simple enough when I was planning it, and I had been wanting to put my sewing skills from 7th grade home ec. class into action. I admit that I have stepped into fabric stores before, but never for anything that I’ve needed so I was floundering a little bit. Luckily, I was with a friend who knows how to sew and she helped me out a bit. But the pattern that I picked out was hard to read even for her so I double checked with the woman behind the counter and ended up with 10 yards of material, which I knew was going to be more than we needed, but I wanted to have room to screw up a bit so I went with it.
I was wrong. After cutting out the pattern for the apron I had so much material left over that I was able to make 7 stockings – one for each of us, plus Tsunami.
I found it through i could make that, which I am loving. It seemed like a pretty easy project for a new sewer, and it was. Time consuming, for sure, but fairly easy. If you get too close to them you can see that I still have a lot of work to perfect, but in this shot I think they look pretty good. I’ve already told Wes that I want a sewing machine of my own for my birthday (I had to borrow a friend’s for this project.
I don’t have a picture of the apron, but I’m okay with that. That one looked a little more haggard than the stockings and I’m thinking that if/when I get better at this sewing situation I’ll try again. The dish towels, though, turned out really good and I’m bummed that I didn’t think to take a picture of them. I bought a set of white dish towels from Target and then cut out enough fabric to cover the bottom front of the towel. I pinned the fabric and then sewed it on to the towel. They came out the best of all the projects, probably because it was the simplest thing that I did. Perhaps my mom will be nice enough to send me pictures of them.
One of my projects on my Life List is to make all my gifts one year sot his was the perfect project to get me started on that. This year for Christmas we’re going to draw names for Wes’ family as well, so making gifts for our recipients should be easier than having to make gifts for everyone. I’m already looking for ideas and wondering how early is too early to start drawing names.